Geography and History
The town was founded in 1838, on the farm Buffelsfontein, which was owned by Gerrit van Wyk. Today the population of the village is about 700, of which a few direct descendants of Van Wyk can still be found. Throughout history, the inhabitants of the town were dependant on the farming of fruit, sheep, cattle and ostriches, enjoying the constant supply of water in winter and summer, thanks to the mountain spring known as "The Eye".
Once, during the years of the ostrich boom, it was the centre of education in the Little Karoo. The school, built in 1912, had at one time, well over 200 pupils, who came in from all the surrounding towns.
Van Wyksdorp has a variety of accommodation options available from Guest Houses, Bed and Breakfasts to Self-catering units. Accommodation is available on the game farm of Rooiberg Lodge ±7km outside Van Wyksdorp.
There are a diverse range of activities to do in the area from scenic drives, hiking trails, mountain biking, 4 x 4 trails, bird watching to Donkey cart rides.
Although small Van Wyksdorp has a thriving business community and provides a wide range of goods and services to its residents as well as surrounding communities.
For more information, please visit www.central-karoo-info.co.za.
Photos & info courtesy of Van Wyksdorp Tourism www.vanwyksdorp.com.
|Van Wyksdorp Tourism Office Information|
|Telephone:||028 551 1023|
|Fax:||028 551 1766|