Geography and History
The farm Amalienstein was bought by the Berlin Missionary Society in 1850. Two mission stations were completed in 1853 in the building style of a century ago. The town was named after Frau Amalie von Stein who donated the money to purchase the land. The mission stations were transferred to the Dutch Reformed Church during the First World War. The town is part of the tourist route on Route 62.
The closest airport is George Airport with a distance of 65.6 mi (or 105.6 km) North-West of the centre of Zoar.
In 1867 the Berlin Mission Society took over the management for a period of 11 years, after which they finally broke away from Zoar.
Apples and figs are grown here.
|Zoar Tourism Office Information|
|Telephone:||028 551 1023|
|Fax:||028 551 1766|